1. Evaluate the efficacy of patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) on post-operative pain and prevention of adverse effect. We cooperated with our group members in Acute Pain Service and made a movie about the health education of post-operative pain and pain control together. It is broadcasted at each corner of VGHTC regularly in order to promote self-paid PCA for post-operative pain and increase the number of patients using it. There are several benefits, such as educating correct health information to the public, reducing the sufferings of post-operative pain, and accomplishing the goal of postoperative pain management commission in Taiwan Pain Society.
2. Establish and empower Acute Pain Service (APS), a service that can handle the consultation of acute and chronic pain in the hospital. Record 5th vital sign, which is pain score, to raise the satisfaction of patients suffering from post-operative pain and to increase the efficacy of analgesia treatment of acute or chronic pain. By means above, we hope we could accomplish the goal of painless operation hospital or least suffering hospital as early as possible.
3. Built-up integrated training program for resident doctors. It includes training pain management specialist, purchasing advanced machines, organizing the file of seminars and collecting the data of patients undergoing pain management. The department of pain management in VGHTC has been elected as training hospital for pain management specialist by Taiwan Pain Society.
4. Introduce novel analgesic medications and techniques to our patients and do researches related to it.
5. Add different regimen into caudal analgesia and evaluate its effect to reduce post-operative pain.
6. Prophylaxis of IV-PCA related nausea or vomiting by the use of corticosteroid.
7. Diagnosis and treatment of pain among cancer patients.
8. Diagnosis and treatment of neuropathic pain.
9. Diagnosis and treatment of muscle pain
Pain sensation is a danger sign of a disease or malfunctioning inside a human body. Besides, pain some parts of the body make the diagnosis of some diseases earlier. However, persistent pain or severe pain not only affects patients’ quality of life but also causes psychological stress. As a result, pain sensation is needed to be treated or eradicated without delaying the process of disease diagnosis.
Cancer pain, headache, facial nerve palsy, trigeminal neuralgia, myofascial pain, neuropathic pain, postherpetic neuralgia, postamputation pain, shoulder or neck pain, sciatica, low back pain, joint pain, perioperative pain management.
C. Services of Pain Management
● Outpatient pain management, the appointment schedule is as followed:(click here to make an appointment online)
● Inpatient pain management for patient with uncontrolled cancer pain: In addition to regular pain control medications, we discuss with the patient about a plan of pain management, including IV patient control analgesia and neuraxial techniques for cancer pain. We also get involved in hospice care.
Inpatient consultation about pain management: It includes post-operative analgesia, such as IV patient control analgesia or epidural patient control analgesia, and painless labor service.